Mountaineer Insurance Services, Inc. of Elkins, West Virginia was recently highlighted in a nationwide newsletter, Beyond the Desk of SIAA, which is sent to all members of the SIAA (Strategic Independent Agency Alliance, Inc.) The SIAA is the nation’s largest alliance of independent insurance agencies, with over 6,750 independent member agencies in 48 states, producing over $7,410 million in premiums.
Mountaineer Insurance Services, Inc. (MIS) is also a member of Mountain State Agency Alliance, a statewide affiliate of SIAA.
Mountaineer was highlighted for their volunteer work within the communities they serve. Founded in 2006, and now with five offices serving the four counties of Randolph, Pocahontas, Pendleton and Webster, MIS makes it a goal to volunteer and give back to the local communities within these four counties of central West Virginia in which they operate.
“Working to have a positive impact on our community is something my entire organization believes is very important and we take it very seriously,” said MIS President Jonathan Kyle. “Each employee picks a month of the year and plans a community service project in their area that involves all the agency’s staff.”
This is a year-round initiative and in January 2020 they will kick off the year with a community table event on January 7, where local restaurants donate food and volunteers serve soup and bread to people in need of a hot meal.
Last year the agency volunteered at a number of events including:
- Sponsoring the Run Like A Fool 5K fundraiser, with an April Fools theme, to benefit a local elementary and high school.
- Sponsoring the adopt-a-classroom program at North Elementary School in Elkins, where every child receives a book each month for a year.
- Volunteering at the American Red Cross blood drive, held quarterly at the Mill Creek Memorial Church in Mill Creek. Kyle’s wife, Angela, volunteers at the church regularly.
- Feed the City, a monthly program providing a hot meal for over 300 people. The agency participates as a group once a year and has two employees who volunteer with the program regularly.
- A Visit with Santa – Santa visits the Beverly office for the day and gives all children free photos with Santa, hot chocolate and cookies.
- Giving dozens of food baskets to families in need with a full Easter dinner or Thanksgiving dinner for each family.
- Sponsoring “Shop with a Cop” for the Christmas holiday, where police officers help children based on need. Officers take a child to lunch and then bring them shopping at Walmart for the holiday.
As principal of Mountaineer Insurance Services, Inc. Kyle sets an example for his staff to donate their free time. He is president of the Randolph County Chamber of Commerce, vice-chairman of Valley Health Care Medical Center, serves as a local high school golf coach, is the treasurer for the Tygart Valley Lions Club and also serves as president of the newly formed non-profit, Randolph County United.
“It was a great honor to be recognized as the 2017 recipient of the William Porter Community Service Award,” said Kyle. “This award was named in honor of Mary Kerns’ father, who was a great man and had the most caring philanthropic heart.”
The agency also provides branded bottled water to all non-profits and sports organizations that request it. Many of these organizations sell the water to raise significant revenue. The agency donates over 75,000 bottles per year and raises over $50,000 for participating organizations.